Friday, June 24, 2016

Kickstarter Alert! - Kloudline: The World's Lightest Dog Leash

Kloudline: The World's Lightest Dog Leash


Having a service dog and going out in public means being ready for any dog related emergencies that can crop up.  That explains why I have poop bags, dog treats and treat bags stashed everywhere.  If I get in the car and realize I've forgotten something, no problem.  There is probably a spare one in the trunk.  Rambo has his own suitcase when we travel and it has an extra of everything I can carry:  leash, collar, boots, bowls, water bottles.....you get the idea.

I learned very quickly that Rambo can bite through a nylon leash in an instant whether he means to or not.  We were in San Francisco to get some tests done at the VA hospital there.   Rambo's leash inadvertently got stuck in his mouth and it only took him a couple of bites to turn a six foot leash into two utterly useless three foot leash halves, leaving me with a loose dog on VA ground (eek!).  Ever since I have kept a lightweight leash in his pack.  Unfortunately, no matter how light the leashes have been they always managed to add too much weight to his working coat and make it lean to one side.

Today I was scouring Kickstarter for new pet campaigns and came upon Kloudline.  They have designed two lightweight but strong leashes:  The Minimus and the Ultralight.  I jumped on an Ultralight leash that weighs in at less than an ounce!  The Minimus is similar to the Ultralight but it comes with a nice, printed polyester webbing handle on the human end.  The Minimus comes in at just a hair over an ounce so you'll have a light but strong leash whenever you need it.



The leash itself is made with a "braided rope called Dyneema® which is extremely strong and lightweight while maintaining a soft hand feel. Size for size, it is the same strength as steel."  



You can get the full low down on the campaign on Kickstarter at this link:  Kloudline.  Pledge a few bucks for one of these leashes and help support a dog-centric endeavor!

Oh, here is another incentive for me to try Kloudline:  Rambo broke a chain leash when he decided he wanted to play with a squirrel when we were at the lake.  It took me totally by surprise.  I was sitting on the bench reading something on my phone and the next thing I know there is a black blur going by my feet.  My first thought was not to worry about it since Rambo was chained to the heavy bench with a leather and chain leash.  Just as quickly I jumped up in surprise as that black blur turned into my dog running after a family of ground squirrels who weren't up for playing with a dog 50 times their size.  To his credit, Rambo came right back to me immediately when called (with an eye over his shoulder for those pesky squirrels!).  I was not happy when I realized that he broke the chain and didn't even skip a step.


The chain suffering from some rust from sitting in the trunk of my car didn't help matters.
Rambo isn't a chewer so I don't worry about his chomping on this leash to get loose but I bet he'd make another dash for it if the squirrels tease him enough.  I'd like to see if he can break this leash!  

Poor squirrels.

---------------------------

Rambo is a JLAD Dog!  He comes from The Joys of Living Assistance Dogs (JLAD) in Salem, Oregon. They are an Assistance Dogs International (ADI) accredited organization that is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to raising and training assistance dogs and placing them in positions of service, including veteran's with PTSD.

Joy St. Peter, Founder and Director
(503) 551-4572
Mail: The Joys of Living Assistance Dogs
PO Box 12023
Salem OR  97309
E-Mail info@joydogs.org




Donate to Joys of Living Assistance Dogs
Donations are encouraged!


No comments:

Post a Comment